I edited my profile with Thomas Myspace Editor V4.4 (www.strikefile.com/myspace)

Monday, November 5, 2007

Blog 5

This week I learned about salt and where it comes from. I did not know it was of great intercontinental value and what a rich history and just how important it was.
I use to think that salt was just a condiment that made my fries and steak taste better. I would have never thought that it was so important that great african empires would have to rely on something that sits on my dinner table everyday. I guess we all take advantage of things that we do not need to exert any effort into getting.
In ancient times salt was traded in africa for gold. This was known as the salt and gold trade, where giant blocks of salt where traded for giant blocks of gold in the Mali Empire. Salt back then was traded for its weight in gold. Salt was valued so much because of its preservative abilities. It is capable of preserving food. Salt is also used to melt ice in the winter.

Salt also is mentioned in various religons such as Catholicism, Shinto, and Aztec mythology. It is said that there are around 35 referencees to salt in the Catholic bible.
I never knew how important salt can be. Hmm maybe I should try to trade some salt for a gold bar.

No comments: